[R-SIG-Finance] PortfolioAnalytics question re: showing results

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Wed Mar 16 20:43:58 CET 2016

On Wed, 2016-03-16 at 13:06 -0500, matt at considine.net wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a sense I have overlooked something pretty basic here, but I'll
> risk asking an obvious question.  I am trying to use PortfolioAnalytics
> as a complement to information provided by an investment consultant.
> They are presenting their efficient frontier results with annualized
> expected return data.  I'm feeding PortfolioAnalytics monthly historical
> data, so the resulting chart/summary data is on a monthly basis (I
> believe).
>
> Is there a flag for results to be presented on an annualized basis?
>
> Thank in advance - and apologies for overlooking something clear.  I did
> try to search the docs first :)

Matt,

It's simple, but not as simple as a flag.

You need to add the annualized metrics to the portfolio specification
with a multiplier of 0.

Then you can plot your efficient frontier using all the standard
PortfolioAnalytics tools calling those metrics as axes of your plots.

Let me know if you need a fully worked out example, but I think there
are examples in some of the vignettes and presentations that do
something similar with annualized standard deviation.

Regards,

Brian