[R-SIG-Finance] write.csv conversion problem

Peter Neumaier peter.neumaier at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 21:34:28 CET 2016

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 11:58 AM, Joshua Ulrich <josh.m.ulrich at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 4:43 AM, Peter Neumaier
> <peter.neumaier at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am writing a matrix (typeof = double) into a CSV file with write.csv.
> >
> > My first column of the matrix is a date in the form yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss:
> >
> >> a_fetchdata[1,0]
> >
> > 2016-02-09 07:30:00
> >> typeof(a_fetchdata[1,0])
> > [1] "double"
> >
> Your a_fetchdatra object isn't a matrix.  It looks like it's either an
> xts or a zoo object.  I'm not sure how you concluded that the first
> column is a date-time, based on the result of extracting the 0-th
> column.

You are totally right: it is an xts object.
I probably mis-phrased it but I meant to say that the format inside the
cell is yyyy-mm-dd
while purely focusing on the problem of losing that date format with the
column being
converted into an integer...sorry bad language.

> > My CSV file contains a sequence of integers (from 1 to x) instead of the
> > expected date.
> >
> > How can I prevent that conversion to happen when writing into CSV?
> >
> Use write.zoo.

All problems solved now:

- I am reading/writing from/to zoo objects and casting back to xts with
as.xts:

write.zoo("myfile.csv", sep = ",", quote = FALSE)

myData <- as.xts(read.zoo("myFile.csv",sep=",",tz="",header=T))

Thanks to everyone.
Peter