[R-SIG-Finance] getting suffix for symbols

Joshua Ulrich josh.m.ulrich at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 14:44:40 CET 2016

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 3:10 PM, Stephen Choularton
<stephen at organicfoodmarkets.com.au> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am using getSymbols and want to try and find somewhere I can look up the
> exchange suffix for a symbol.
>
> eg I know Westpac is WBC.AX with the AX being the Australian Stock Exchange
> but I have an EFT called GLD which is on the NYSE Arca (I think).  I have bo
> idea what the suffix is.
>
> Is there some central reference for these suffixes.  If not does anyone know
> what the right one is for this symbol to get the data down using getSymbols.

getSymbols is an interface to multiple data sources.  Where to find
the exchange suffix depends on the data source you're using.

If you're using Yahoo, you need to reference
http://finance.yahoo.com/exchanges. If you're using Google, you need
to reference https://www.google.com/googlefinance/disclaimer/.  I'm
not sure about exchange codes for other data sources.

--
Joshua Ulrich  |  about.me/joshuaulrich
FOSS Trading  |  www.fosstrading.com