[R-SIG-Finance] solnp Problem Inverting Hessian

Paul Gilbert pgilbert902 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 16:42:45 CET 2015

Just to be clear, when I said "difference between the largest and
smallest elements" I am think of the absolute value. It is the scale not
the sign that causes problems in optimization. And I cannot commenting
on whether you have the correct objective function, just pointing out
what would happen numerically with the one you specified.

Paul

On 12/15/2015 10:17 AM, Michael Ashton wrote:
> That is very interesting. Actually some of the projected returns are
> negative, some are very close to zero. None is exactly zero, which I
> guess is why it's not singular, but that's why it's ill-conditioned.
> Very interesting. And hard to solve...if I add 5% to all returns will
> I still get the same portfolio? Seems to me intuitively I shouldn't
> since the proportional risk/return tradeoff then is greater for the
> assets on the low end of the spectrum, but I might be wrong.
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Paul Gilbert
> [mailto:pgilbert902 at gmail.com] Sent: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 9:58
> AM To: Michael Ashton Cc: Michael Weylandt;
> r-sig-finance at r-project.org Subject: Re: [R-SIG-Finance] solnp
> Problem Inverting Hessian
>
> I have not been paying close attention and I've missed something in
> this thread, but ...
>
> I think the hessian in the optimization will be the second derivative
> of this function

> WRT  wgt.vect. If there are zero elements in Ret.vect then that
> hessian will be singular. And if there are orders of magnitude
> difference between the largest and smallest elements in Ret.vect then
> the hessian will be ill-conditioned.
>
> The ill-conditioned case is a numerical problem and you might solve
> it with a different algorithm, or by better scaling. The zero case is
> a theoretical problem, there is not a unique optimal point but rather
> whole continuum of optimal points (your parameters corresponding to
> the zero elements will not make any difference in the function
> value).
>
> HTH, Paul
>
> On 12/14/2015 11:39 PM, Michael Weylandt wrote:
>> (+list -- I'm not a numerical linear algebra expert or portfolio
>> optimization expert, but there are a number on this list who might
>> chime in)
>>
>> That is quite high, and almost certainly problematic.
>>
>> I'm not sure what an acceptable bound is (will depend on your
>> solver), but that's almost certainly above it for any algorithm
>> which will require inverting cov.mat.
>>
>> Two things you could try: - use a different (non-Hessian-using)
>> optimization algorithm; - use some form of shrinkage/regularization
>> (Ledoit-Wolf is a common choice) to tame your covariance matrix.
>>
>> Michael
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 10:10 PM, Michael Ashton
>> <m.ashton at enduringinvestments.com> wrote:
>>> Well, not sure whether this makes any sense but kappa(cov.mat)
>>> gives me 11148245007.
>>>
>>> That seems large. But I am not sure what it is supposed to be.
>>>
>>> -----Original Message----- From: Michael Weylandt
>>> [mailto:michael.weylandt at gmail.com] Sent: Monday, December 14,
>>> 2015 9:29 PM To: Michael Ashton Cc: r-sig-finance at r-project.org
>>> Subject: Re: [R-SIG-Finance] solnp Problem Inverting Hessian
>>>
>>> What's the condition number of your correlation/covariance
>>> matrix? (?kappa)
>>>
>>> I think I've used quadprog for portfolio optimization with
> [...]
qL