[R-SIG-Finance] solnp Problem Inverting Hessian

Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 02:31:38 CET 2015

The Hessian is the matrix of second derivatives
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hessian_matrix) -- in scalar terms,
you're finding a point where the second derivative is zero and then
trying to divide by the second derivative to calculate the step size.

I haven't gone through your code in any detail, but I'd start by
checking the covariance matrix since that's proportional to the
Hessian of your objective function. Is it (comfortably) non-singular?

Since you're just solving the standard Markowitz problem, you might
try a simpler (quadratic/convex) solver instead of a general
non-linear solver. Should behave a bit better.

Michael