[R-SIG-Finance] Computing stop probability

Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 04:39:24 CET 2015

I misread your question: delta is only an approximation to being below
a level at a fixed time, not during an interval.

If you want the probability of hitting a stop over an interval, you
want the running max (or running min -- Weiner process is symmetrical)
of a Weiner process. This is a bit trickier to derive and I can't find
a simple derivation to point you to, so I typed one up quickly.

Also see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiener_process#Running_maximum
and http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/946968/law-of-a-geometric-brownian-motion-first-hitting-time-proof-checking?rq=1
(though note there's a mistake in the latter)

Hope this helps,
Michael