[R-SIG-Finance] Calculating trailing returns

Am Gut agquantr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 15:53:03 CET 2015

Good Morning Michael,

I have simple return data, in a daily periodicity. I am essentially trying
to calculate the trailing returns for say 252 periods, assuming I am trying
to look at trailing 12 month returns. So I have been trying to use a
product function, but I am having trouble specifying a look back period. I
did use the apply.rolling function from the PerformanceAnalytics package,
but was unable to us the prod function with it- the function was simply
returning an average:

##compute 12-month (lookback variable) returnm
List = list()
for (i in 1:ncol(sector_xts))
{
  List[[i]] = apply.rolling(sector_xts[,i], function(x) prod(1+x)-1, width
= 252)

}
lookback_returns = do.call(cbind,List)

Is there any way to set a look back or trailing period number on the
product function? If not is there any ways that you guys can suggest to
calculate trailing returns of larger periodicity from daily return data?

Kind Regards,

AG