[R-SIG-Finance] Starting value of conditional mean and variance

alexios galanos alexios at 4dscape.com
Mon Oct 5 13:17:47 CEST 2015

A few years ago, on the suggestion of Pat, I implemented an option
which allows to choose whether to use all the data for the initialization
of the variance recursion or some other value e.g. for exponential smoothing
backast. This can be found in the fit.control option (of ugarchfit) under
'rec.init':

>From the documentation:

"The rec.init option determines the type of initialization for the
variance recursion.
Valid options are ‘all’ which uses all the values for the unconditional
variance
calculation, an integer greater than or equal to 1 denoting the number
of data
points to use for the calculation, or a positive numeric value less than
one
which determines the weighting for use in an exponential smoothing
backcast."

This is only for the variance recursion initialization, and not the
conditional mean.

Best,

Alexios