[R-SIG-Finance] getSymbols for FRED in quantmod has stopped working???

Paul Gilbert pgilbert902 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 01:11:14 CEST 2015

The discussion on R-pkg-devel has been about how to fix default
download.file behaviour that has previously worked on all platforms, and
is now broken by a very recent change at the St Louis Fed. A method
working a few days ago would not be a guarantee that it still works.
Before people go overboard changing their workflow, let me point out
that this can likely be fixed by a user setting

    options(download.file.method="libcurl")
or
    options(download.file.method="wget")
or
    options(download.file.method="wininet")

See ?download.file  for more options, which will be platform specific
(but maybe not as specific as using an excel macro).

The package developer problem is slightly different. That problem, the
problem that Joshua is working on, is that the default method no longer
works. So either the default method has to be fixed or users need to be
directed to some solution that will depend on their platform.

Paul