[R-SIG-Finance] Monthly Midpoint return

G See gsee000 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 16:37:23 CEST 2015

Try this

    data(sample_matrix) # load sample data first
    x <- as.xts(sample_matrix)

    do.call(rbind, lapply(split(x, "months"),
                          function(xx) xx[ceiling(nrow(xx)/2)]))

This code splits the object by months, then uses lapply() to loop over
each month and apply a function which selects the row that is in the
middle of the month.  (you could replace ceiling() with floor() or
round()).

Once you have the subsetted data, you can calculate returns however
you normally would (ROC(), Delt(), dailyReturn(), etc.)

HTH,
Garrett