[R-SIG-Finance] Number of data points required for Cointigration

amol gupta amolgupta87 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 10:24:45 CET 2015

Hi

I need help in figuring out the length of historical data that I should
use. I took stock prices(daily close) for two tickers from yahoo(200
days).I tried finding regression coefficient using PCA and I use 150 points
for PCA. I find a coefficient Beta.

Now to see whether the spread is mean reverting or not I use ADF. If I use
150 point long spread, It comes out to be nonstationary. If I use 200
points data the outcome is stationary

I again used 200 points to do the PCA and find regression. The spread comes
out to be non stationary. From all these observation *I think* that this is
not a stable relationship.

So following are my questions

   - Is there a way to decide length of historical data to use?
   - Some relationship may be more stable than others. Is there away to
   quantify it?

Any other insight in this regard will be appreciated(time frame, pairs vs
basket). I have attached the plot and the script that was used to generate
the plot.

--
Regards
Amol