[R-SIG-Finance] rename a large number of stock codes

Marco Sun hs13322 at my.bristol.ac.uk
Thu Dec 4 09:58:30 CET 2014

Hi, sorry for the previous emails, I am now opening a new topic to demonstrate my problem clearly.

I wish to retrieve a bunch of Chinese stock through getSymbols.

symbols<-c("600089.SS","600202.SS")

getSymbols(symbols)

These stock codes are not easily recognised nor being processed in further analysis, i.e. R does not recognise 600089.SS, instead, it recognises `600089.SS`.

> 600089.SS

Error: unexpected symbol in "600089.SS"

> class(`600089.SS`)

[1] "xts" "zoo"

`

Therefore, I wish to replace symbols with some simple tickers called stockcodes. I can easily replace the name of 600089.SS via:

stockcodes<-c("TBDG","HKT")

TBDG<-`600089.SS`

However, it could take a lot while if I have a large portfolio and I do have a well-diversified portfolio under analysis.

Another approach came up to me was using setSymbolLookup like this:

> setSymbolLookup(TBDG=list(name="600089.SS"))

> getSymbols("TBDG")

[1] "TBDG"

But I got error when I was trying to use for loop as the following:

for(i in 1:2)

{

 setSymbolLookup(stockcodes[i]=list(name=symbols[i]))

 getSymbols(stockcodes[i])

}

Any comment would be appreciated.

Cheers,