[R-SIG-Finance] GARCH fitted parametric distributions for copula fitting

alexios ghalanos alexios at 4dscape.com
Mon May 12 22:43:11 CEST 2014

Sebastian,

1. It is not the @fit$fitted.values you should use (which BTW you should
extract using the 'fitted' method), but the standardized residuals.

>z = residuals(fit, standardize=TRUE)

2. Once you have these, you should then convert them to U(0,1) by
applying the parametric transformation (IFM). Since you've used the
student distribution:

>pdist("std", z, 0, 1, shape = coef(fit)["shape"])

Alternatively, use the probability integral transformation method (pit):

>pit(fit)

which will return the U(0,1) in one step.

It is the U(0,1) values that you pass to the copula.

The copula-GARCH with student and normal margins are already available
in the rmgarch package whose functions (source) or documentation you may
want to consult to see the steps.

Regards,

Alexios