[R-SIG-Finance] Formely known Rbloomberg package

arnaud gaboury arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 13:56:23 CET 2014

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 1:23 PM, John Laing <john.laing at gmail.com> wrote:

> As others have noted, this still does not fix your problem of needing a
> Bloomberg terminal on the same machine where you want to crunch numbers.
> IANAL, but you really should look at the licensing side of Bloomberg's data
> offerings (terminal and SAPI).

I will contact Bloom office here in geneva and see what is the cost of
BLOOMBERG B-PIPE. I only need the data feed, nothing else. Or maybe
they may have some end-of-day/delete data subscription (?).

> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 7:11 AM, Whit Armstrong <armstrong.whit at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Arnaud,
>>
>> Can you not point Rblpai to the windows server that is running the
>> simulator?  It doesn't open a port?
>>
>> For instance, on windows, you can do something like this (after
>> installing socat):
>> start c:\blp\API\bbcomm.exe
>> socat TCP4-LISTEN:18194,fork TCP4:localhost:8194
>>
>> and then if you point Rblpapi to the 18194 port of your windows
>> machine, you should be ok.

For now, I just run
$ wine emul.exe
in console mode. I didn't set up any windows vm. But you are right in
the idea : listen to 8194 localhost port.

Btw, even if the bloom emul is a good project, it is far from being
complete and I won't be able to code all my apps with only this app.

So next step is either buy a bloom B-PIPE if not too expensive, or use
a windows bloom terminal from some friend with Whit package. I for now
just want to see how the data are exactly retrieved and in which
format. I know it is chains of strings, so it wouldn't be difficult
then to build time series/data frame for R.