[R-SIG-Finance] Formely known Rbloomberg package

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Jan 26 21:49:20 CET 2014

On 26 January 2014 at 21:15, arnaud gaboury wrote:
| >> The version from John's gihub repo should work.
| >>
| >> https://github.com/johnlaing/blpwrapper
|
| Unfortunately, I am on a Linux machine and my project will be hosted
| on a linux server. So my choice now is:
| 1- rewrite the Rbbg package to work on Linux. Any good pointer ?

Please define "rewrite":

  i)   Bloomberg's underlying API is in C and works on all platforms
       supported; the Java, Python, ... variants just call it

  ii)  We know Java and R work everywhere too.

So what issues are you afraid of?

| >> There is also a less reliable and less feature complete c++ version here
| >> which I've been working on here:
| >> https://github.com/armstrtw/Rblpapi

When I wrote the initial RBloomberg (which was never released as it was
"written on the man's time") I was quite happy with the C API. With Rcpp,
things should be a breeze.

We do use John's version at work on a Windows pc for the occassional lookup,
and that has been good enough for us.

Would the emulator you mentioned work on Linux so that we could develop code
there?  That might be a way to give Whit a hand and write something like
RcppBlp.

Dirk