[R-SIG-Finance] get.hist.quote with Yahoo No Longer Works?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 23:52:58 CET 2014

Dirk,
   I far prefer your groovy ideas and where I got to using them than
what I did yesterday. In the case of quantmod::getSymbols the problem
isn't the direct function but rather the 'sub'-function
getSymbols.yahoo, so using your idea I do:

getSymbols.MWK = getSymbols.yahoo
fix(getSymbols.MWK)

do the URL modification and one more fix, i.e:

quantmod:::convert.time.series

and save the function in my overall MWK_Functions.R file. At this
point I can simply change one line in any of my source code files,
ala:

SymbolSrc = "yahoo"

becomes

SymbolSrc = "MWK"

At that point all my existing getSymbols calls go to the new function
and seem to work fine:

> getSymbols(c("AGG","GLD","IWM"), src="MWK")
[1] "AGG" "GLD" "IWM"

All of my MySQL databases are now updating and I can go back the
original function when the fix comes out. Sweet! Thanks!

- Mark