[R-SIG-Finance] The ruGarch Package‏ & Insignificant estimates

alexios ghalanos alexios at 4dscape.com
Tue Dec 3 05:49:05 CET 2013

You have 3 options:

1. Fix the parameter which is not significant to zero and re-estimate
e.g. ma1
"setfixed(modelspec)<-list(ma1=0)"
The documentation on ugarchspec explains the naming of the parameters.

2. Change the ugarchspec to exclude the parameter from estimation.

3. Automatically have the program zero the parameters outside a certain
p-value threshold and re-estimate the model using the 'reduce' method:
e.g. given an estimated model of class uGARCHfit (e.g. 'mod')
newmod = reduce(mod, pvalue=0.1)

At present, the danger of using the 'reduce' method is that it will zero
the GARCH intercept if it is not significant. I will update this to
instead set it to its variance targeting value in the next update.

-Alexios