[R-SIG-Finance] Simple portfolio management - anything in R?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 23:25:20 CEST 2013

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 10:21 AM, Peter Carl <peter at braverock.com> wrote:
>> every time I start looking at those things I glaze over...
> I recommend a double espresso.  Then:
>
> library(blotter)
> ?blotter
>
> In the example provided, you can see your starting point:
> ?getSymbols
> ?initPortf
> ?addTxns
> ?updatePortf
> ?initAcct
> ?updateAcct
> ?updateEndEq
>
> pcc
> --
> Peter Carl
> http://www.braverock.com/peter

Peter,
   Thanks for the pointers. I've made a little bit of headway this
Friday afternoon and likely can make more progress over the weekend.

   One quick question, mostly out of curiosity. How/where are blotter
portfolios stored? The initPortf function seems to create something
lasts beyond my current run of R. If I exit R-Studio, reenter and
rerun my code that created the portfolio in the first place it tells
me:

> initPortf(name="Mark1",symbols="StockList")
Error in initPortf(name = "Mark1", symbols = "StockList") :
  Portfolio Mark1 already exists, use updatePortf() or addPortfInstr()
to update it.

I do see it's in the blotter environment:

> ls(envir=.blotter)
[1] "portfolio.Mark1"

   I'm on Linux, ran updatedb and attempted to locate both portfolio
and Mark1 but didn't find anything meaningful.

Thanks,
Mark