[R-SIG-Finance] Risk return analysis

Wildi Marc (wlmr) wlmr at zhaw.ch
Sat Jun 29 23:59:23 CEST 2013

This is a classic topic of/for confusion:

-Garch-in-Mean (as you use) is not related to Markowitz: the former (Garch-in-Mean) emphasizes longitudinal dynamics whereas Markowitz emphasizes cross-sectional `diversity'.

-Typically, the link between return and volatility in the Garch-in-mean is negative. This means: high-volatility is associated with draw-downs (negative returns): asymmetry of markets.

-In contrast, in a Markowitzian cross-sectional perspective the link between vola and return is positive: higher returns offset higher risk.

Do not stumble into this trap...

Marc