[R-SIG-Finance] Computational Time using rugarch package

Ivanov Ruporvrich ivanovruporvrich at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 10 07:44:50 CEST 2013

Hi,
I am using the rugarch package in R and I have a certain model, which I want to reestimate on a daily basis using ugarchroll.

I am aware of the fact, that my problem is caused by the reason, that I do the reestimation daily, but since I really need the daily reestimation I cannot change this parameter (change to an higher number). My problem is, that reestimation on a daily basis takes a lot of time. I ran my pc for 7 hours but I did not get a result, when I pressed ESC I got 4 or 5 warning messages that the hessian could not be inverted.

So my main question is: Is there any chance to get this estimation running? Maybe change the solver or something like that?

I do not have a problem with running R for like 6 hours or so, at least if I get a result afterwards.

My R code is: (I use 262 observations for each window, I am aware of the fact, that
more observations would be better in order to get more consistent
estimates.)

library(rugarch)

garchspecification<-ugarchspec(variance.model = list(model="fGARCH",submodel="NAGARCH", garchOrder = c(1, 1)),
mean.model = list(armaOrder = c(1, 0), include.mean = FALSE),
distribution.model = "ged")

rollmodel = ugarchroll(garchspecification, mydata, n.start=262,
 refit.every = 1, refit.window = 'moving', window.size = 262,
  calculate.VaR = TRUE, keep.coef = TRUE)

I attached the data.

Thanks a lot for your help,
Ivanov