[R-SIG-Finance] Are my VaR forecasts correct (using rugarch)?

alexios ghalanos alexios at 4dscape.com
Wed Jun 5 00:28:22 CEST 2013

Hi,

1. You can easily check whether you are getting the forecast at the date
you want by inspecting the returned forecast density data.frame:
as.data.frame(roll, which = "density")
OR VaR:
as.data.frame(roll, which = "VaR")
If you provided an xts object, then the dates in the data.frame rownames
will provide you with the answer.

Have you tried help('uGARCHroll-class') ?

2. "show(roll,which=4)". There is no documented method 'show' which
takes on additional arguments 'which'.

3. 'report(roll,type="VaR",VaR.alpha=0.01,conf.level=0.99)'
This is a formal test of the conditional coverage. You ask WHY your
model does not pass the test. ONLY YOU can answer that question given
you knowledge of YOUR data.
However, it is usually unlikely that the normal distribution provides
for a good fit to the observed security return dynamics in financial
markets (try distribution.model='jsu').
Also, if you search previous postings you may see that a data length of
255 may not be adequate for modelling the volatility process
persistence. There is a blog post on this question you may find useful
(http://www.unstarched.net/2012/12/26/garch-parameter-uncertainty-and-data-size/).

Regards,

Alexios