[R-SIG-Finance] Portfolio construction with integer constraints

alexios ghalanos alexios at 4dscape.com
Thu Feb 14 19:32:05 CET 2013

Magnus,

Have you done a search for "round lots" in the context of portfolio
optimization? There are many references. I have personally found
Scherer's classic ("Introduction to Modern Portfolio Optimization") to
be quite good (see page 96 for this particular problem).

Keep in mind that in R you only have, AFAIK, MILP solvers. MINLP or MIQP
are usually only found in commercial implementations (though you also
have couenne in coin-or which has not been ported to R yet).

If you want to have a look at an implementation of 'in-between or out'
cardinality constraints, the parma package on CRAN implements this for a
number of risk measures within a MILP framework (using the GLPK solver).

Regards,
Alexios