[R-SIG-Finance] Question

alexios ghalanos alexios at 4dscape.com
Fri Feb 8 10:19:50 CET 2013

Please follow the guidelines and post a reproducible example next time.
1. What is data(Gold), where can we find it?
2. There is no model called "egarch" in the specification. It is "eGARCH"

You are starting the model with 100 data points using the eGARCH model
and the normal distribution. It is quite likely, that the solution
converges to one which is on the boundary of covariance stationarity. I
have replicated this :
set.seed(10)
X = rnorm(1000)
spec =ugarchspec(variance.model=list(model="eGARCH"),distribution.model
= "norm")
roll = ugarchroll(spec, data = X, n.start = 100,  refit.every = 500,
refit.window = "moving", solver = "solnp", fit.control = list(),
calculate.VaR = TRUE, VaR.alpha = c(0.01, 0.025, 0.05), keep.coef = TRUE)
as.data.frame(roll)
See the NaNs in the sigma.

Solutions:
1. Use more more data for the estimation start (e.g. 200).
2. Use a different model (e.g. sGARCH, gjrGARCH etc).

Also, read some of the older posts in this forum on the amount of data
to use and why it is a bad idea to use so little data.

-Alexios