[R-SIG-Finance] Combining instrument data into one xts

G See gsee000 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 06:28:31 CET 2012

A common way to do this is to store your data in its own environment.  Then,
use eapply to get a list of close prices.  Finally, construct a merge call
with do.call

    s <- c("SPY", "AAPL")
    myEnv <- new.env()
    getSymbols(s, src='yahoo', env=myEnv)
    p <- do.call(merge, eapply(myEnv, Cl))

this is like calling merge(Cl(SPY), Cl(AAPL)), but it will work for any number
of symbols.

Similarly, if your data are stored in your globalenv(), you can create a list
of Close prices and merge them together using do.call.

    s <- c("SPY", "AAPL")
    getSymbols(s, src="yahoo")
    p <- do.call(merge, lapply(s, function(x) Cl(get(x, pos=globalenv()))))

I also happen to have a function that does this for you in one line in my qmao
package on R-Forge. https://r-forge.r-project.org/R/?group_id=1113

    library(qmao)
    p <- PF(getSymbols(c("SPY", "AAPL")), silent=TRUE)

HTH,
Garrett