[R-SIG-Finance] Introducing TFX: An R Interface to the TrueFX Web API

rex rex at nosyntax.net
Mon Dec 3 19:30:27 CET 2012

G See <gsee000 at gmail.com> [2012-12-03 04:57]:
>I'd like to introduce the TFX package which I recently published to CRAN.
>
>It is a simple R interface to the free TrueFX Web API. You can use it
>to get real-time quotes with millisecond resolution and fractional-pip
>bid/ask spreads for 26 currency pairs.
>
>There is an RPub overview of the TFX package available here:
>http://rpubs.com/gsee/TFX

Wow, this looks _very_ cool! Thank you for all the R work you do.

># install.packages('shiny', repos=c('http://rstudio.org/_packages',
># getOption('repos'))
>library(shiny)
>runGist("4122626")

Runs with no problems here. Starts a Chrome session on localhost:8100.

>#--------------------------
>The code for the above shiny app can be viewed or downloaded from
>https://gist.github.com/4122626

Did that, pasted server.R and ui.R into ~/R/gsee/, then within
an interactive R session, did:

> runApp(appDir = '~/R/gsee', port = 8100L)

It runs as before, and after opening up port 8100, the world can see
it. Amazing. Firefox 16.x and Chrome 20.0.1132.57 both work.

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.15.1 (2012-06-22)
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)

[...]

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] bitops_1.0-4.1 shiny_0.2.3    TFX_0.1.1

[1] caTools_1.13     digest_0.5.2     RJSONIO_0.98-1   tcltk_2.15.1
[5] tools_2.15.1     websockets_1.1.6 XML_3.9-4        xtable_1.7-0

>I've also had a little bit of success creating real-time streaming
>charts using svSockets, following the video
>(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvT8XThGA8o) on the data.table
>homepage (http://datatable.r-forge.r-project.org/) as a template and
>using TFX as the data source.

Love to see this in action.

>Hope it's useful,

Looks as if it will be very useful indeed. :)

Thanks again,

-rex
--
All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously
wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even