[R-SIG-Finance] agent-based model

Patrick Burns patrick at burns-stat.com
Fri Oct 5 09:28:45 CEST 2012

On 05/10/2012 00:06, Worik Stanton wrote:
> On 05/10/12 05:23, Simone Gogna wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> is there anyone able to give me some indications about R and agent-based modeling?
>> I am looking forward to build an agent-based model of a simple stock market for my master thesis to evaluate the effect of high-frequency trading activity.
>
> FWIW I do not think R is well suited to this task
>
> I only have a little experience with agent based modelling, but  IMO a
> language with better support for data structures would be more suited.
> I would lean to C++ (as I know it) but I am sure Java would be a fine
> language for your needs.

I both agree with this and disagree with it.

If you are in the just playing around stage
and don't know what you want to do, then R
is a very good place to do it.  Once you do
know what you are doing, then another language
(such as C++) will be better.  But I would
say the binding constraint would be speed
rather than data structures.

Of course if what Jeff pointed to fits the bill,
then even better.

> R is ideal for processing the output of such a model.

Wholly agree.

Pat