[R-SIG-Finance] About Garch models

Patrick Burns patrick at burns-stat.com
Tue Sep 18 17:52:08 CEST 2012

Jaime,

I'm not a big fan of testing, especially
this form of testing.  My prior is that all
market data experience volatility clustering.

The question is more whether the heteroscedasticity
has an affect on what you are trying to do with
the results of your model.

But to answer your question:  You should never
believe a Ljung-Box test on squared residuals
no matter what the p-value.  The reason is because
the Ljung-Box test (which is really robust) is
not robust enough when used on the squares of a
long-tailed distribution.  The outliers can mess
with the p-value as they wish.

You can trust Ljung-Box tests on the ranks of
squared residuals.

I don't know enough about other tests of autocorrelation
to comment.  But if they don't agree with a rank Ljung-Box
test, then I'd be suspicious.

Pat

--
Patrick Burns