[R-SIG-Finance] TSE ticker problems

Paul Gilbert pgilbert902 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 19:49:02 CEST 2012

I have been having trouble retrieving some TSE series from yahoo:

 > require("quantmod")
 > getSymbols("BMO.TO", dbname="yahoo")

works but

 > getSymbols("COS.TO", dbname="yahoo")

appears to have worked but has actually failed:

 > str(COS.TO)
An 'xts' object of zero-width

It seems to be getting the header, but no data. I have also tried with
Google Finance:

 > getSymbols("TSE:COS", dbname="google")
  Error in download.file(paste(yahoo.URL, "s=", Symbols.name, "&a=",
from.m,  :
   cannot open URL
'http://chart.yahoo.com/table.csv?s=TSE:COS&a=0&b=01&c=2007&d=6&e=11&f=2012&g=d&q=q&y=0&z=TSE:COS&x=.csv'
In addition: Warning message:
In download.file(paste(yahoo.URL, "s=", Symbols.name, "&a=", from.m,  :
   cannot open: HTTP status was '404 Not Found'

I'm not sure if I have the syntax correct for indicating an exchange on
google. Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul