[R-SIG-Finance] Rbbg Java out-of-heap-space error (potential cause: response_cache)

John Laing john.laing at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 13:39:41 CEST 2012

Alexandre,

The Java side of the Rbbg package caches all data responses during a
session. That's probably what's responsible for the memory issues
you're experiencing. This is a known bug that I haven't had a chance
to fix, but if you'd like to submit a patch I would happily accept.
The latest source is on my github at
http://github.com/johnlaing/blpwrapper. (I assume the "old fork" you
refer to is Jeff Davis's version, tweaked to work on Linux.)

The findata.org site hosts Windows binaries, so you should not specify
type = "source" from within R. This works just fine:
install.packages("Rbbg", repos = "http://r.findata.org")

-John