[R-SIG-Finance] Where to obtain version of PortfolioAnalytics package installable on R 2.15

G See gsee000 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 21:34:00 CEST 2012

I wish there were an R-Forge FAQ I could point to.

You need to use svn to checkout the code. (tortoise svn is popular for Windows)
    svn checkout svn://svn.r-forge.r-project.org/svnroot/returnanalytics/

Navigate to the pkg directory of what you just checked out
    cd returnanalytics/pkg

Then build and install it.  Since you're on Windows, you'll need
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/Rtools/
   R CMD INSTALL --build PortfolioAnalytics

As you noticed, that package has some problems that prevent it from
passing R CMD check, so don't hold your breath waiting for R-Forge to
build it.  (Also, don't expect the documentation to match the code)

If you're going to use code that is under development, you need to
learn to use svn and how to build packages from source.  If you have
trouble building from source, follow up on R-help.

HTH,
Garrett