[R-SIG-Finance] rugarch and fGarch

alexios ghalanos alexios at 4dscape.com
Thu Jun 14 15:06:43 CEST 2012

Marco,

All models (more precisely their filters which are used in the
estimation process) in the rugarch package are already coded in C for speed.
The "apARCH" is an omnibus model and as such carries a penalty for such
flexibility, as does the use of the 'sstd' distribution.
There is also a small penalty for the 1-stage estimation of
ARFIMA-GARCH, rather than the marginally faster 2 stage estimation which
I do not make use of in the package (but you can control for that by
passing an arima filtered residual series using an appropriate
specification and reconstituting later with fixed parameters in the spec
for doing forecasting).
For the rolling estimation, you can make use of the parallel option to
evaluate in parallel the rolling estimations/forecasts. See the FAQ
section of the vignette for some comments on the tradeoff between the
number of cores to use versus the size of the problem for the snowfall
package. I have personally found that running things on linux with the
multicore package is quite faster, but that may be because I do not have
any optimized setup for windows R.

-Alexios