[R-SIG-Finance] Spread discovery and backtester code

Jeffrey Ryan jeff.a.ryan at gmail.com
Tue May 22 18:10:45 CEST 2012

My apologies for starting this.

I didn't mean to imply that Chris was intending to do anything wrong.  In
fact, from a technical GPL perspective, I don't really care too much.  My
focus, and my immediate reaction was for one reason only, discourage
future use of the list to distribute opaque code.  Binaries, passwords,
etc are that - no question about it.

Chris has done a great job in responding to my somewhat less than friendly
initial reply, in terms of passing along more details as well as
explaining his position, and fixing some of the issues that weren't so
clear at the start.

The point of this list, community, et al, is open source finance, within
an R context.  It seems (now) that that is exactly what Chris is doing.
For that, I want to chime in with the others and say thanks for making the
effort in sharing your code and ideas here, and I think many would be
willing to help in the process of getting it into more hands and in front
of more eyeballs.

Jeff