[R-SIG-Finance] Spread discovery and backtester code

Joshua Ulrich josh.m.ulrich at gmail.com
Tue May 22 15:40:01 CEST 2012

Wearing my devil's advocate hat...

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 7:34 AM, mail at chrisbird.com <mail at chrisbird.com> wrote:
<snip>

> I would please ask anyone who is interested to let me know, so that I can
> develop these further if there is enough interest. If I don't get any comments,
> I wont bother.
>
> Also any licensing comments/banners within the source should be ignored - it is
> not in a "release" form yet, and was another reservation I had releasing it in
> such a form. Please assume that any of this software agrees with and is
> compliant with any GNU R licensing requirements.

I hope you can understand how some people may be reluctant to make
this assumption. "Chris told me to ignore the license and assume it is
GPL" probably isn't a strong legal argument.  It could be different
now that you've said it in a public forum, but I'm not a lawyer.

> Rather than responding in a rude or obnoxious manner to people who try and
> contribute to the group it is probably better to respond in a softer manner. This is not
> the first time that I have seen certain people respond to myself and others in a a manner
> which deters people from making a contribution.

While Jeff's response may have seemed inappropriate, your post was
highly unorthodox and it wasn't immediately clear you were trying to
contribute to the open source community.  The "requires password" and
the ".zip" (binary) extension were red flags.  I hope you can see how
this could give people the wrong impression.

If you're looking for feedback on your code, you really need to supply
the code, not just the program/package.  github, R-Forge, or
code.google.com are good for this.

I could only find one other instance where you thought someone
responded to you "in a manner which deters people from making a
contribution" and it seemed like you were very quick to assume that
Daniel was being rude when he was just being brief (and English isn't
his native language).

> Chris.

Best,
--