[R-SIG-Finance] self-fulfilling prophecies in financial study

Matthieu Stigler matthieu.stigler at gmail.com
Tue May 15 10:03:10 CEST 2012

Hi

A little bit late to answer this maybe...

You could take a completely different point of view, and study the
effects of "self-fullfilling" prophecies on the dynamics of the price
time series. The idea is that a self-fullfilling prophecy would induce
over-reaction of the market, a sort of "trend following" behaviour.
Translated this into time series properties, it can be interpreted as a
change in the persistence of the time series, i.e. its auto-regressive
coefficients, which becomes higher than 1.

This is actually what is done in the economic literature of for
"bubbles", where bubbles are defined as an explosive behaviour of the
series, i.e. a \rho >1. PCB Philips has recently worked on it and
developed econometric tests very simple to implement in practice. We
used this in a paper, where you can find an illustration (box 14.3) and
few references:
http://www.fao.org/docrep/013/i2107e/i2107e14.pdf

Best

Matthieu