[R-SIG-Finance] Standardization of GH distribution

alexios ghalanos alexios at 4dscape.com
Sat May 5 20:41:06 CEST 2012

Hi Julien,

The GH distribution has a number of location and scale invariant
parametrizations (this is the key thing to remember -- Prause 1999 is an
excellent reference which you should read for more details).
The rugarch package uses \rho and \zeta, representing skew and shape
respectively, in the estimation process. These are transformed, at each
'iteration' of the solver, into the \alpha, \beta, \delta, \mu
parameters of the standardized (0,1) GH distribution which is then used
to compute the likelihood. The transformation is sequential as shown in
the document and proceeds with a number of substitutions. If you are
worried you can check for yourself that the resulting parameters are
always the standardized (0,1) GH by looking at the transforming equation
in rugarch:::.paramGH which was originally written by
Diethelm Wuertz.
The same goes for the GH Skew Student (GHST), but the transformation
uses the \beta bar invariant parametrization which I wrote and included
in the package in the latest version.

Here is an example:

library(rugarch)
library(fBasics)
rho = -0.9
zeta = 0.5
pars = rugarch:::.paramGH(rho = rho, zeta = zeta, -0.5)
ghMean(alpha=pars[1], beta=pars[2], delta=pars[3], mu=pars[4], lambda=-0.5)
ghVar(alpha=pars[1], beta=pars[2], delta=pars[3], mu=pars[4], lambda=-0.5)

Regards,

Alexios