[R-SIG-Finance] calibration of GARCH models to futures data

Ivette iva_mihaylova at mail.ru
Wed May 2 18:02:53 CEST 2012

 I have done the usual estimation of GARCH models with R, applied to my
historical dataset (commodities futures) with a maximum likelihood function
and selected the best model on the basis of information criteria (AIC, BIC).

 Can somebody explain me  the calibration scheme for a GARCH model with
futures data?

 I was not able to find a paper, dealing with exactly this algorithm for my
case. I only understood from the unrelated calibration literature that in
general I have to compare the performance of the best model (from the
estimation step), fitted to my historical dataset and a  simulation (let's
abbreviate this Squared Error difference to "E2").

 However, it is not clear to me:
 - with what parameters' values to start this simulation,
 - how many times it is normal to perform it,
 - what to compare via E2 (maximum likelihood values, or parameter values)
 - how to construct & assess E2 for the GARCH case.

 Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

 Ivette