[R-SIG-Finance] Vectorized local min/max finding

Joshua Ulrich josh.m.ulrich at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 13:27:10 CET 2012

Here is how I would solve the problem using xts:

library(quantmod)
getSymbols("SPY")
SPY$ma <- SMA(Cl(SPY),50)
SPY$diff <- (Cl(SPY)-SPY$ma)
SPY$diff[1:50] <- 0
SPY$group <- cumsum(c(0,diff(SPY$diff>0,na.pad=FALSE)) != 0)
SPY$grpLen <- ave(SPY$diff, SPY$group, FUN=length)
SPY$grpMin <- ave(SPY$diff, SPY$group, FUN=min)
SPY$grpMax <- ave(SPY$diff, SPY$group, FUN=max)

Best,
--
Joshua Ulrich  |  FOSS Trading: www.fosstrading.com

R/Finance 2012: Applied Finance with R