[R-SIG-Finance] Update price data on disk using mmap package

me me at censix.com
Thu Mar 1 21:26:14 CET 2012

Hi

if you  set

mmapPrices <- mmap(file=cFile, mode=double());

then mmapPrices is a ONE dimeansional array of double()'s. I think it
is easier to do the following, assuming you are working with a
univariate xts object. Define:

mmapPrices <- mmap(file=cFile,
struct(timestamp=double(),price=double()) )

Now assume that you have initialized mmapPrices with NA's, like this:

mmapPrices[,1] <-NA
mmapPrices[,2] <-NA

Now you can append a new xts row 'newbar' like so:

newbar <- xts(12.3, order.by=sometimestamp)

find the first free (timestamp==NA) row in mmapPrices

idxcol<-mmapPrices[,1]
iifree<-match(NA, idxcol[[1]] )

fill it with the data from newbar

mmapPrices[iifree,1] <- .index(newbar)
mmapPrices[iifree,2] <- coredata(newbar)[1,1]

This has been working fine for me.

Cheers

Soren

censix.com