[R-SIG-Finance] Splitting time series into blocks/regimes?

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 13:24:29 CET 2012

I find this idea methodologically iffy, but perhaps you could do a
little bit to make it a well posed question:

i) Are you picking these periods as relatively equal divisions or time
or as ex-post artifacts of "all that mess"

ii) What is "the clustering algorithm"? Aren't there quite a few?

iii) What does this mean: "the 3 big blocks/regimes need to be
contiguous within each block/regime itself..."

Perhaps you should look into reformulating your idea in terms of
regime switching models.

Michael Weylandt