[R-SIG-Finance] Causal version of HP filter and Kernel Smoothing in R?

Paul Gilbert pgilbert902 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 01:04:41 CET 2012

Some pedantic points regarding correct terminology:

On 12-02-24 06:00 PM, Brian G. Peterson wrote:
> As usual, it helps to use the correct terminology.
>

> The term usually employed is not 'causal' but 'one sided' or 'two sided'
> filters.

Economists usually employ the terms 'one sided' and 'two sided'. In
engineering, physics, and mathematics, I think the terms 'filter' and
'smoother' are still used. (But yes, 'causal' usually has to do with
something else.)

> In classic state space models, the two sided filter is often
> called a 'smoother', and the one-sided version is called a 'filter'.
> See any introduction to Kalman filters for examples, since the Kalman
> may easily by one sided or two sided.

Even in the classic case this is not specific to state-space models. The
term filter meant it could be used to filter incoming signals without
knowledge of the future, while a smoother needs future information. So,
a filter could be used to do realtime control, while a smoother could not.

> High pass filters are also quite trivial, as equation 4 in your
> reference demonstrates.
>
> I may be incorrect, having spent only a few moments on it, but I see
> nothing in this paper to indicate that the kernel smoothing in equation
> 6 is not equally trivial.
>
> Marc Wildi has written extensively on the topic of real time (one-sided)
> filters, and his R code is public.

Engineers use the term 'realtime data' to mean what I think most people
would understand as 'look at the data as it is arriving', which implies
using a (one-sided) filter.  Economists use the term 'realtime data' to
mean 'look at the data as it arrived'. That is, the vintages of the data
that were available at different points in time. Thus a realtime
analysis for an economist is a consideration of the revisions in the
data. I think Marc Wildi uses the term as an economist, not as an engineer.

(I warned you this is pedantic.)
Paul