[R-SIG-Finance] correlation based time series clustering?

Murali.Menon at avivainvestors.com Murali.Menon at avivainvestors.com
Thu Feb 23 10:47:52 CET 2012

Folks,

There's been quite a bit of work on clustering in finance:

http://www.mendeley.com/research/correlation-based-hierarchical-clustering-in-financial-time-series/

I think many of Mantegna's works are available for download.

Very simply, though, you can calculate a correlation matrix given your time series of returns, and then apply, say, a medoid-clustering scheme (e.g. the pam function in package 'cluster') and see what happens. According to Mantegna, if you do this on the components of the Dow Jones, the various industrial types very naturally form individual clusters.

Hope this helps.

Murali