[R-SIG-Finance] American option sensitivities

J Toll jctoll at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 15:24:51 CET 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 3:18 AM, Enrico Schumann
<enricoschumann at yahoo.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> (comments below)
>
> Am 10.02.2012 01:02, schrieb J Toll:

>>> ... because that functionality was removed upstream by QuantLib.
>>>

>>> http://lists.r-forge.r-project.org/pipermail/rquantlib-commits/2010-August/000117.html

>>> There is a third door behind which you find the price: "numerical
>>> shocks".
>>>
>>> Evaluate your american option, then shift the various parameters (spot,
>>> vol,
>>> int.rate, time to mat, ...) each by a small amount and calculate the
> [...]
> results will become nonsensical.
>
> Here is an example. As a first test, I use a European option.
>
> require("RQuantLib")
> h <- 1e-4
> S <- 100
> K <- 100
> tau <- 0.5
> vol <- 0.3
> C0 <- EuropeanOption(type = "call",
>                     underlying = S, strike = K,
>                     dividendYield = 0.0,
>                     riskFreeRate = 0.03, maturity = tau,
>                     volatility = 0.3)
> Cplus <- EuropeanOption(type="call",
>                        underlying = S + h, strike = K,
>                        dividendYield = 0.0,
>                        riskFreeRate=0.03, maturity=tau,
>                        volatility=0.3)
> Cminus <- EuropeanOption(type="call",
>                         underlying = S - h, strike=K,
>                         dividendYield=0.0,
>                         riskFreeRate=0.03, maturity=tau,
>                         volatility=0.3)
>
> ## a first-order difference: delta
> (Cplus$value-C0$value)/h
> ## [1] 0.570159
> C0$delta
> ## [1] 0.5701581
>

> ## a second-order difference
> (Cplus$delta-C0$delta)/h
> ## [1] 0.01851474
> C0$gamma
> ## [1] 0.01851475
>

> Now for an American option. Here we don't have the delta, so we first need
> to compute it as well.
>
> C0 <- AmericanOption(type="put",
>                     underlying = S, strike=K,
>                     dividendYield=0.0,
>                     riskFreeRate=0.03, maturity=tau,
>                     volatility=vol)
> Cplus <- AmericanOption(type="put",
>                        underlying = S + h, strike=K,
>                        dividendYield=0.0,
>                        riskFreeRate=0.03, maturity=tau,
>                        volatility=vol)
> Cminus <- AmericanOption(type="put",
>                         underlying = S - h, strike=K,
>                         dividendYield=0.0,
>                         riskFreeRate=0.03, maturity=tau,
>                         volatility=vol)
>
> ## a first-order difference: delta
> (dplus <- (Cplus$value - C0$value)/h)
> (dminus <-(C0$value - Cminus$value)/h)
>
> ## a second-order difference
> (dplus - dminus)/h
> ## [1] 0.01905605
>
> I ran a little a experiment with different levels of 'h', where you can
> clearly see when the gamma diverges.
>
> |    h |      gamma |
> |    1 | 0.01905385 |
> | 0.01 | 0.01905612 |
> | 1e-4 | 0.01905605 |
> | 1e-5 | 0.01915801 |
> | 1e-6 | 0.03463896 |
> | 1e-8 |   8.881784 |
>

> In the literatur, you find a number of tricks to smooth the function, but in
> my experience, you are fine if you make 'h' small with respect to 'x' --
> small, not tiny. So if the stock price is 100, a change of 1 or 0.1 is
> small. (And think of it: even if we found that a change of one-thousandth of
> a cent led to a meaningful numerical difference; if the stock price never
> moves by such an amount, such a computation would not be empirically

Enrico,

Thank you so much for such a detailed and helpful example.  I had
found an article on Wikipedia mentioning many of the issues you write
about regarding selection of h.  In that article, the author/s
suggest:

"A choice for h which is small without producing a large rounding
error is sqrt(ε  x) where the machine epsilon ε is typically of the
order 2.2×10-16."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerical_differentiation

So for R, I suppose that would equate to:

h <- sqrt(.Machine$double.eps * x)

Thanks again for your really helpful example.

Best,

James