[R-SIG-Finance] Monte Carlo Option Pricing formula R code vs Matlab

Enrico Schumann enricoschumann at yahoo.de
Fri Feb 3 09:08:46 CET 2012

Hi Darko,

R's 'max' function behaves differently from MATLAB's. You probably don't
want

payoff = max(delS - exercisePrice, 0);

but

payoff = pmax(delS - exercisePrice, 0)

(and you should settle on one number of time steps per year; either 255
or 252).

If you only work with European options and use the
Black--Scholes--Merton SDE for the underlier, then there is no need to
simulate the paths of the SDEs; you can do one time step and "jump from
0 to T".

And as rex has pointed out, there would indeed be a substantial speedup
if you rewrote your code in a vectorised fashion. (This is also true for
MATLAB, though the speedup is typically much smaller than in R.)

Regards,
Enrico

--
Enrico Schumann