[R-SIG-Finance] tawny: deriving

Patrick Burns patrick at burns-stat.com
Sat Jan 28 10:47:49 CET 2012

Rohan,

I'm a little confused about what you really
want, but perhaps 'var.shrink.eqcor' from
the 'BurStFin' package can help.

The package is not yet on CRAN (but it's
getting closer), get it from:

install.packages('BurStFin',
    repos="http://www.burns-stat.com/R")

(which doesn't work under 2.14.x because it
doesn't have a namespace).

'var.shrink.eqcor' returns the shrinkage that
it uses as an attribute.

To get estimates that are trying to mimic the
original Ledoit-Wolf code, you need to set the
weights to be all equal and the 'compatible'
argument to TRUE.

The shrinkage parameter is slightly different
from that estimated in 'tawny'.  I have a sample
size of one that suggests I get the value that
Ledoit and Wolf's Matlab code gets.  I couldn't
see where the difference comes from in the little
time I spent trying.

Pat

--
Patrick Burns