[R-SIG-Finance] Negative Estimate of EGARCH model

alexios alexios at 4dscape.com
Fri Jan 27 17:23:39 CET 2012

"Correcting" the possibility of negative parameter estimates implies an
error in the model. This is not so, and I
suggest you try to read some of the references cited in the package
about how GARCH models work.

The point of eGARCH is that we work with  the log of the variance so we
do not have to worry about positivity.
The parameters therefore, for the intercept (\omega),  shock (\alpha)
and asymmetry (\gamma) are 'unrestricted' while the
parameter on the lagged variance (\beta) is constrained (for
stationarity) to be less than 1 and positive.
Thus, it is NOT a correction you are seeking but a customization to suit
your own beliefs on the model. You are free to
go into the code and change these restrictions to suit your purpose. The
restrictions may be found in the "rugarch-startpars.R" file
in the source installation and the function is ".egarchstart".

Regards,
Alexios