[R-SIG-Finance] data manipulation to for quantmod function

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Wed Jan 11 16:10:57 CET 2012

On Wed, 2012-01-11 at 09:49 -0500, R. Michael Weylandt wrote:
> If you have tick/high(-ish) frequency data, you'll have to
> transform it to OHLC; there's no way to keep the frequency
> you have and to make an OHLC object out of it, since those
> metrics are by definition aggregates. The easiest way to
> do so is to read it in as an xts object then use one of the to.period() functions.

Whoa.  Not (Completely) True.

getSymbols, xts, and quantmod are perfectly comfortable with tick data
of millions and even billions of rows.

chart_Series and chartSeries have built-in charting mechanisms for OHLC
data, and you may wish to transform higher freqency data to lower
frequency OHLC before charting, but this is by no means required.

Some indicator/TA methods also require OHLC data or equivalent, but many
will work fine on univariate series or on tick.

To the original poster's question, I usually use read.table or read.csv
and then as.xts to convert to an xts object.  How to do these steps has
been covered many times on this list, so please search the archives.

With the linked csv file in the original poster's messages,
see ?strftime and the list archives for information on formatting.

Regards,

   - Brian

--
Brian G. Peterson