[R-SIG-Finance] exponentially weighted linear regression

Eric Zivot ezivot at u.washington.edu
Tue Jan 10 00:00:52 CET 2012

It seems like this can be easily solved using rollApply or period.apply and
lm with exponentially declining weights (in the w option). BTW, regression
on exponentially weighted data is often called "discounted least squares"
and is what I would call a "poor man's" kalman filter. In fact there have
been a few papers in the engineering literature which shows that discounted
least squares is equivalent to a certain type of filtered estimated from a
state space regression model with time varying parameters. I've used
discounted least squares for modeling hedge fund data and found it to work
quite nicely. Also, the time varying parameter state-space model may work
well with a few explanatory variables (1 or 2) but it often does not perform
well if there are many (say 5+ predictors). For each regression parameter,
you have to estimate an AR(1) smoothing parameter plus a transition equation
error term. With many predictors, you run into numerical stability problems
very quickly and the likelihood function can have many local minima. For
this reason, discounted least squares is an attractive alternative. Finally,
it is very difficult to do model selection with the state space kalman
filter. How do you choose the variables to enter the regression equation? I
have not seen anyone do a systematic study of model selection in time
varying parameter models. Perhaps, this is where a Bayesian approach might
be useful. This is an important but neglected topic. I would be happy is
someone pointed me to some research on this topic.

Eric Zivot
Robert Richards Chaired Professor of Economics and Director of Outreach
Adjunct Professor of Finance
Adjunct Professor of Statistics
Adjunct Professor of Applied Mathematics
Department of Economics
Box 353330                  email:  ezivot at u.washington.edu
University of Washington    phone:  206-543-6715
Seattle, WA 98195-3330
www:  http://faculty.washington.edu/ezivot