[R-SIG-Finance] PerformanceAnalytics Figure 13

loconut tors.alletra at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 22:10:37 CET 2011

I had a similar problem. I was reading data in from an csv file that had been
created in MS Excel:

portfolios <- read.csv("C:/Data.csv", sep=",", row.names=1,
stringsAsFactors=FALSE)

Then, when attempting to use charts.PerformanceSummary, I got the following
error:

Error in checkData(R) :
  The data cannot be converted into a time series.  If you are trying to
pass in names from a data object with one column, you should use the form
'data[rows, columns, drop = FALSE]'.

The "fix" was to convert the date format to the European style "1997-03-01"
and re-save the data. I quote the word "fix" because I got the same error
again a few days later after a reboot. I fixed it the second time by
converting the dates to another style and then converting back to the
European style - again. Very strange.