[R-SIG-Finance] RBloomberg, blpConnect, java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError

algotr8der algotr8der at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 19:33:48 CET 2011

I recently installed RBloomberg, the Bloomberg APIv3 and rJava.  I tried to
execute blpConnect but received the following error. My windows machine has
Java 1.5 installed, which to my knowledge appears to be acceptable for
RBloomberg/rJava.
Please see further details below. I greatly appreciate your help.

RBloomberg Version 0.4-150
Java environment initialized successfully.
Looking for most recent blpapi3.jar file...
Adding C:\blp\API\APIv3\JavaAPI\v3.4.5.5\lib\blpapi3.jar to Java classpath
Error in .jnew("org/findata/blpwrapper/Connection", java.log.level) :
  java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file
> sessionInfo()
R version 2.14.0 (2011-10-31)
Platform: i386-pc-mingw32/i386 (32-bit)

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252  LC_CTYPE=English_United
States.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252 LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] RBloomberg_0.4-150 rJava_0.9-3