[R-SIG-Finance] Estimating co-integration factors of two time series

Eric Zivot ezivot at u.washington.edu
Tue Oct 25 19:33:28 CEST 2011

The "degree of cointegration" is not a well defined statistical concept. If
two series are cointegrated then there exists an error correction
representation for the bivariate system. You can estimate and analyze this
bivariate system and the properties of the system can tell you things like
(1) the speed of adjustment for each series in response to a deviation from
the long-run trend (2) the speed of mean reversion of the cointegrating
residual (3) whether a particular variable responds or not to the deviation
from the long run trend (ie which variables appears to be driving the
trend). You can also look at how well the error correction model fits (in
terms of R2) to get an idea of how useful it is for in-sample prediction.